Mobile devices are essential tools for businesses to stay connected and manage their supply chains, putting them at the forefront of technological transformation. Here are 10 action points to better optimize the use of mobile devices in your supply chain.
1. Streamline workflows to increase productivity. It is crucial for companies to improve workflows. The use of mobile devices can increase productivity by eliminating time-consuming redundancies and reducing administration costs, billing errors and staff time.
2. Seamless scaling and integration. An intuitive technology system enables seamless integration by sharing real-time data on mobile devices. The right system enables transparency and streamlines communications that align with business goals while reinforcing best practices. But be careful here. Many systems don’t address the actual day-to-day needs of a business. Therefore, choosing the wrong technology platform can be a costly mistake that leads to greater inefficiency and poor performance.
3. Manage assets with a robust database. Managers can use mobile devices to access important data stored in a database housed on an advanced technology platform. Mobile access allows for convenient asset tracking, maintenance and allocation.
4. Free up resources by fine-tuning planning. A company can streamline its planning processes by eliminating outdated methods and manual procedures while leveraging mobile technologies. This frees up resources and increases agility by allowing mobile device users to be more proactive and respond quickly to challenges.
5. Improve data collection. Many advanced mobile technology systems enhance data collection and information delivery. This promotes transparency and increases efficiency regardless of location, while minimizing disruption and delays. Real-time data collection and visibility are the backbone of a supply chain. Sharing this information across the enterprise via mobile devices enables critical connections with partners and customers, enabling the supply chain to reach its full potential.
6. Improve key insights to expand reporting. An innovative technology platform delivers key insights into an organization’s supply chain, giving team members access to key reports, trends, statistics and real-time data that enable the organization to make adjustments to improve efficiency and accuracy.
7. Improve demand visibility. A proven technology platform improves visibility to better anticipate demand, which is necessary for proper planning and accurate forecasting. A platform with built-in strong accessibility for mobile devices also facilitates the timely and cost-effective procurement and distribution of goods, which has a positive impact on the bottom line.
8. Integrate security best practices. Mobile devices are particularly vulnerable to security risks; As such, a technology platform should adhere to security best practices and seamlessly interoperate with and comply with existing security standards.
9. Proactively assess the health of the supply chain. Unpredictable global challenges in recent years have thrown some supply chains into a tailspin, creating uncertainty and ambiguity. Innovative technology platforms enable organizations to quickly determine the health of their supply chain and mitigate risk across their operations, including mobile devices.
10. Anticipate expectations to improve customer experience. Optimizing mobile devices with the right software can improve the overall customer experience. An intuitive technology platform enables mobile device users to receive updates and notifications on their mobile devices, enabling them to meet customer expectations.
SOURCE: Tom Martucci, Chief Technology Officer Consolidated, Intermodal Technologies