A lot of people don’t like the default app icons on their phones. This could be due to the lackluster design or smaller icons and font sizes. At the same time, some may want to customize the app icons and names to disguise and hide them. So, in this article, let’s see some handy ways to change your app icon and name on any Android phone.
How to change app icon and name on Android
You can change the app icons and names on your Android phone in a number of ways. You can use the built-in feature on your phone or rely on third-party launchers and apps. Read below all the methods in detail.
Method 1 – Change the app icons using the built-in feature
Smartphone makers, using their own custom skin on top of Android, often allow you to customize app icons and names. Here’s how you can do this on MIUI, OneUI, and OxygenOS:
Customize app icons on OxygenOS
Depending on the OxygenOS version, you can not only change the app icon and text, but also download custom icon packs to your OnePlus phone. Check the steps below in detail.
To change the icon or text for a specific app on OnePlus:
1. Press and hold the app icon you want to customize.
2. Choose To edit from the options in the pop-up menu.
3. Tap the app icon and select the icon pack you want to choose a new icon from.
4. On the next screen, select the icon you want.
5. Also, you can change the app name and click OK.
How to change icon pack and style on OnePlus:
1. Tap and hold somewhere on the home screen. Click on symbols.
2. Here you can see some already installed themes. If you don’t like them, tap Custom Possibility.
3. You can now set the icon size, shape, colorand font size according to your preferences.
Alternatively, you can download complete icon packs to your OnePlus smartphone from the Google Play Store.
Customize app icon style on Xiaomi MIUI
On Xiaomi and Redmi smartphones, you can use the built-in theme store to download and customize wallpapers, icons, and overall appearance.
How to change the theme on Xiaomi phones with MIUI 13:
1. open that subjects App on your Xiaomi or Redmi smartphone.
2. Scroll down and Tap on the topic you want to install.
3. On the next screen, tap Download button to save the theme.
4. Once it’s downloaded, click Use.
Your phone will now use icons from the applied theme.
You can always change the theme or icons by going to subjects > profile > subjects or symbols.
Download custom icon packs on Samsung OneUI
Samsung smartphones running OneUI come with a dedicated store for Galaxy themes. It allows you to download custom themes and icons to your device as shown below.
1. Touch and hold somewhere on the blank area of your Samsung home screen.
2. Choose subjects from the options presented.
3. click symbols. Go through the available icons and tap the one you like.
4. Next, tap Download to save the icon set to your Samsung phone.
To change icons or switch between the downloaded ones at any time, long press anywhere on the home screen and click on it subjects. Next, tap the Three point menu > my Things > symbols and select the package you want.
Method 2 – Use Android Launchers to change an app icon or name
Android allows you to use third-party app launchers if you are not satisfied with the pre-installed one. If your phone doesn’t have a native way to change app icons or font sizes, you can install launchers like Nova, Lawnchair, etc.
Here’s how to change an app’s icon or name in Nova Launcher:
1. Download Nova Launcher from the Google Play Store.
2. Open it, allow necessary permissions and Set it as the default launcher on your phone.
3. once set up, Tap and hold the app icon you want to customize. Click on To edit.
4. You can now tap and directly Edit the app name.
5. Next, Tap the app icon and select Built-in or gallery to set a custom icon for the app.
6. Crop the image (if using a custom icon) and click Did top right.
7. When you’re done, tap Did to save the changes.
The custom app icon and name are displayed on the home screen and in the app drawer. You can also download custom icon packs to give apps a refreshing look as shown in the methods below.
Method 3 – Use third party icon changer apps for home screen
Alternatively, you can use third-party icon changer apps. These apps create a “custom icon shortcut” on your phone’s home screen for the app you want. Since the original app remains intact, the shortcut can only be displayed on the home screen and not in the app drawer.
Here’s how to change an app icon using X Icon Changer:
1. Download X icon changer from the Google Play Store on your phone.
2. Open it and Select the application You want to change the icon for .
3. Next, Choose the icon you want from the library. You can also choose a custom icon from the gallery or use another app’s icon.
4. When you’re done, click OK top right.
5. Accept the prompt for permission to create a home screen shortcut.
That’s it. A new icon will appear on the home screen of your Android phone. Tap on it to open the settings application.
Method 4 – Download custom icon packs
Several Android skins like OxygenOS and third-party launchers (like Nova, Lawnchair, etc.) support custom icon packs. You can download the icon pack of your choice from the Google Play Store and apply it to the phone’s launcher with a few taps. That’s how it’s done:
1. Download sweets (or choose between these top icon packs) from the Play Store.
2. Install and open the application.
3. Beat Use and select the launcher where you want to apply it (if you have multiple launchers).
4. Beat OK apply.
If the built-in launcher is not supported, download a third-party launcher from the Play Store.
The app icons will now be changed to your liking.
Method 5 – Change your phone’s theme for new icons
In most cases, changing the theme of the phone will also change the icons next to the wallpaper and the entire interface. If your phone comes with a dedicated theme store, here’s how you can use it to switch to a new theme:
1. open that subjects App on your phone (if available). You can also check it in settings > home Screen.
2. Browse through the available themes and select the one you want.
3. Press the “Download“, “Use,” or “Own This Theme,” whatever fits.
That’s it. Your Android phone will switch to the newly downloaded theme with different icons and wallpapers.
This is how you can change the app icon and name on your Android phone. As mentioned, you can either use built-in options to customize the app icon, replace it with a custom one, or try third-party launchers and icon packs. Anyway, what’s your choice? Let us know via comments.
This might interest you:
You can also follow us for instant technical updates at Google news or for tips and tricks, smartphone and gadget reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram group or subscribe for the latest review videos GadgetsToUse Youtube channel.