After much anticipation, Sony’s successor virtual reality (VR) headset, the PlayStation VR2, is almost here. Most importantly, we now know about every PlayStation VR2 game that you can play once the device boots up.
The PlayStation VR2 has been confirmed for a February 22 launch and will retail for $879.95 here in Australia, or $959.95 for a bundle with the platform-exclusive game horizon call of the mountain. Unlike devices like the Meta Quest 2, which do not require any additional hardware, you also need a PlayStation 5 to use the PlayStation VR2.
In addition to the Tentpole release from Guerrilla Games and Firesprite, Sony recently announced that the PlayStation VR2 launch lineup includes more than 30 titles due to release by the end of March. This includes brand new games, ports from other VR platforms and free updates for popular entries like Gran Turismo 7, Resident Evil Villageand Nobody’s heaven.
Much of the software set to be released over the next few months will come from independent developers with extensive VR experience. Aside from immersive experiences from major studios, slapstick comedy is inherent to the format, so keep an eye out job simulator and Vacation simulator from Owlchemy and What the hell by Triband, known for their hilarious previous game What the gulf?
Launch the PlayStation VR2 Game List window
Here is Sony’s list of games scheduled to be released during the PlayStation VR2 launch window through March. Note that release dates are subject to change by then:
- After the fall (cheating)
- Altair crusher (third verse)
- Before your eyes (Skybound Interactive, home window)
- Cities VR (Fast Travel Games)
- Cosmonic High (owl chemistry)
- Creed: Rise to Glory – Championship Edition (Survival, Launcher)
- The Dark Pictures: Switchback (Supermassive, starting window)
- demeo (resolution games)
- Dyschrony: Chronos Alternate (MyDearest Inc., Perp Games)
- Fanta Vision 202X (Cosmo Machia, Inc.)
- Gran Turismo 7 (via Free update to PS5 version of GT7)
- horizon call of the mountain (fire fuel, guerrilla)
- job simulator (owl chemistry)
- Jurassic World Aftermath (Wardrobe)
- Kayak VR: Mirage (Better than life)
- Kizuna AI – Touch the Beat! (Gemdrops, Inc.)
- The last watch winder (Pontoco/Cyan worlds)
- The Light Brigade (Funktronic Labs, purchase includes PS VR and PS VR2 versions)
- Moss 1 & 2 Reissue (Polyarc)
- NFL Pro Era (StatusPro, Inc. Free PS VR2 Upgrade)
- Nobody’s heaven (Hello games, start window)
- Pavlov VR (Vankrupt)
- pistol whip (Cloudhead, free upgrade)
- Mysterious places (Realities.io, free upgrade)
- Resident Evil Village (Capcom, via a free update to the PS5 version of RE Village)
- infinite rec (Extend)
- song in the smoke (17 bits)
- Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge – Enhanced Edition (ILMxLAB)
- synth driver (Kluge Interactive, free upgrade)
- The Story of Onogoro (Amata KK)
- tentacle (Developer)
- Tetris Effect: Connected (Extend)
- knocker (Drool LLC)
- The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners: Ch. 2: revenge (Skydance, start window)
- Vacation simulator (owl chemistry)
- What the hell (tri band)
- Zenith: The Last City (Ramen VR, Free Upgrade)
More PSVR2 details
While the current PlayStation VR2 games list mostly features remasters and upgrades of existing titles, it’s still an impressive selection. One thing to look forward to is the significant improvement in visual quality over Sony’s first VR gaming headset. Play critically acclaimed games like moss and Tetris Effect: Connected through two 2000 x 2040 OLED HDR screens will be spectacular. Sony also confirmed that the popular rhythm game beat saber comes onto the platform, just not at launch.
Aside from a decent launch window for PlayStation VR2 games, content creation and security are key areas for improvement. Similar to other recent VR headsets, Sony’s new device allows you to set play boundaries and view your surroundings without having to remove the peripheral. It also supports broadcasting native gameplay with a PlayStation 5 camera, making it easier for streamers to share footage.
You can pre-order the PlayStation VR2 now from gaming and tech retailers, including Amazon:
You can also watch the launch games in action via the PlayStation website. It’s a busy time for Sony as the PlayStation VR2 is released shortly after the premium-level DualSense Edge controller, which has garnered attention for its eye-popping price point.
Read more gaming news on GadgetGuy
GadgetGuy occasionally uses affiliate links and may receive a small commission from products purchased.