As in previous years, with less than a couple of weeks to go until the end of 2022, Google announced the list of the most popular apps and games on its Play Store.
In India, Shopsy became the most popular app of the year. Even quick delivery apps – Blinkit and Zepto – gained traction among Android phone owners.
“We are very pleased to have received the Google Play Best of 2022 Users’ Choice Award. We’re pleased to see that users from across the country voted for us, and we’re well on our way to maximizing the reach and accessibility of value-based products for our consumers. Shopsy is designed to meet the shopping needs of customers looking for budget-friendly products through a seamless online shopping journey. As a testament to our efforts, today over 70% of our users are from T2+ markets and more than 50% are first-time e-commerce buyers. By leveraging the power of e-commerce, we are confident in making greater strides and value in the lives of our consumers,” said Adarsh Menon, senior vice president of Shopsy (Users’ Choice App of the Year and Best Everyday Essentials”) ).
With 2022 considered to be the start of the post-Covid era, people were dying to get in shape. Bunkerfit, Neend, and Dance Workout for Weight Loss apps were the most popular fitness and wellness apps.
In terms of games, the most popular among Android phone users in 2022 was Angry Birds Journey.
On the other hand, Questt: Navigator for Learning and Apex Legends Mobile emerged as Google editors’ top picks in the Apps and Games categories, respectively
Best of 2022: Top rated Android apps in different categories
1) The Best Fun App – Turnip – Talk, Chat and Stream
2) Best Personal Growth App – Filo: Instant 1 to 1 Tutoring
3) Best App for Everyday Necessities – Shopsy Shopping App – Flipkart
4) Best Hidden Gem – BabyG: Activity, Tracker, Meal
5) Best Good App (For Society) – Khyaal: Seniors
6) Best App for Wearables – Todoist: To Do List & Planner
7) Best App for Tablets – Pocket: Save. Read. Grow.
8) Best App for Chromebooks – BandLab – Music Making Studio
“We are incredibly proud that Google Play selected BabyG for the Best of 2022 award. We designed BabyG to encourage growth and learning in babies through play-based activities, with the goal of supporting parents with a healthy ecosystem they can rely on to provide their children with the best foundation. We are lucky to receive the love of over 200,000 parents from different countries in a short time. Developing a universal app that easily adapts to other cultures is vital to our mission. We are grateful to Google Play for making this much easier for us and helping us with insights and insights to improve the app for our users”, Birma Ram, Founder & CEO of BabyG (Best Hidden Gems – India Winner).
Best of 2022: Top Rated Android Gaming Apps
1) Best Multiplay Gaming App – Rocket League: Sideswipe App
2) Best pick up and play gaming app – Angry Birds Journey
3) Best Indian Gaming App – Dicey Dungeons
4) Best Game with a Good Story – Diablo Immortal
5) Best Continuous Gaming App – Clash of Clans
5) Best Game in Play Pass – Very Little Nightmares
6) Best Gaming App for Tablets – Angry Birds
7) Best Gaming App for Chromebooks – Robolox
“The award is a testament to the tireless efforts of our amazing team committed to making a difference and the love seniors across the country have shown us on this journey. Our goal was to build a super app for seniors in India that will help them with all the helpful services they are looking for – and most importantly, a community where they can interact and belong. Khyaal started with a single chat group in 2021 and today we have over 100,000 users on our app. Google Play has played a key role in our growth trajectory by helping us reach seniors across India and introduce them to the unique Khyaal experience. We are delighted and honored to be recognized as part of the Google Play Awards for Best App For Good in India,” said Hemanshu Jain, Founder and CEO of Khyaal (Best Apps for Good – India Winner).
Google also unveiled the top ebooks and audiobooks that people loved the most in 2022.
Best Selling Books
1) Fire & Blood by George RR Martin
2) It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
3) Fairy Tales by Stephen King
4) I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy
5) A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
Best Selling Audiobooks
1) I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy
2) Fairy Tales by Stephen King
3) Fire & Blood by George RR Martin
4) Atomic Habits by James Clear
5) It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
“Google Play’s recognition is a testament to all the user love we’ve received and spurs us on to create a world where learning is fun, personalized and engaging. Today we’ve grown to serve over two million students with personalized learning paths. We remain focused on improving learning outcomes for millions of students in India and hope to bring about a paradigm shift by using technology to make education more data-driven. We are very happy to win the best app of the year from Google Play. The platform has played an important role in reaching learners across the country, enabling us to consistently provide valuable insights and analytics to deliver the best experience for our users.” – Akhil Singh, Co-Founder and CEO, Questt (Best App Winner 2022 – India).
Get the latest news on new launches, gadget reviews, apps, cybersecurity and more in personal tech only at DH Tech.