London Fire Brigade believe a north London flat fire that resulted in the death of a man in Tottenham in 2021 was caused by a faulty Boxo Blend Ltd blender. was caused
Voltage problems and a lack of thermal protection meant that the products did not meet electrical equipment safety regulations
A warning has been issued about using a blender affected by the product recall after a man died in a fire started by the appliance.
London Fire Brigade believe a north London flat fire that resulted in the death of a man in Tottenham in 2021 was caused by a faulty Boxo Blend Ltd blender. was caused.
After the fatal fire, Islington Council went out of business while they investigated and safety tests found Boxo Blend’s blenders posed a fire risk.
Voltage problems and lack of thermal protection meant that the products did not meet the safety regulations for electrical equipment.
The council’s investigation found that the Islington-registered company had failed to carry out safety checks on at least 1,875 blenders, assuming they were carried out by the Chinese manufacturer.
The company then failed to fully cooperate with Trading Standards to recall the remaining mixers and the council initiated legal proceedings.
More than 650 of these blenders have been sold or given away to the public, the council’s inquiry has found (Media Wales)
More than 650 of those blenders were sold or given away to the public, the council’s investigation found. Almost 1,000 have now been confiscated by the council and about 150 were destroyed in the fire.
Islington Commercial Standards Officers estimate that up to 650 boxo blenders are still in use. Anyone who owns one of the blenders should dispose of it safely. Boxo Blend Ltd is no longer trading and has been wound up so you cannot return its products.
Bashiru Anthony Blenman, one of the men who ran the company, pleaded guilty to two counts under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005, one for having the unsafe blender for delivery and one for failing to inform the council , where the mixers were located when this was required So.
At Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on February 1, Blenman was sentenced to 12 weeks’ imprisonment with 12 months suspended sentence and 150 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay a cost contribution of £700 plus a victim’s surcharge of £128.
A confiscation order was also issued for all confiscated mixers.
Safety tests found Boxo Blend mixers pose a fire risk (Media Wales)
Cllr John Woolf, Islington Council’s Executive Member for Community Safety, said: “We are committed to keeping people safe and will take decisive action to protect the public.
“This incredibly tragic case that took place in our neighboring borough shows how important it is for all businesses, however small, to meet their legal responsibilities to ensure all the products they import are tested and comply with UK safety regulations are equivalent to.
“We remain vigilant forever and will investigate and prosecute as appropriate to help protect the public.”
John Herriman, Chief Executive of the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI), said: “This case underscores the importance of product safety and is a stark reminder that dangerous products can be deadly.
“Businesses that import and sell goods in the UK have a responsibility to ensure their products comply with the law and they should be aware of the tragic consequences of swab testing, as well as the severe penalties they face for failing to meet that responsibility don’t take it seriously.”