‘Can my employer halve my salary to cover accidental damage?’

I work in an engineering company and made a stupid mistake that resulted in damage to a machine. It was an accident and I apologized but my boss says they charge me for repairs and Take 50 percent off my salary pay for it for three months.

I cannot live on this small amount because I have a family to support, but the company does not accept my proposal to deduct a lower amount for a longer period.

Is there anything I can do since I’m worried? I will not be able to pay my car loan and regular bills? AP, Sharjah

No employer can simply halve an employee’s salary payments. This company is acting illegally and not in accordance with the new UAE labor law.

Article 25 of the Law entitled “Cases of Deduction or Withholding from Employee’s Wages” clarifies the few situations in which deductions can be made legally and to what extent.

“No amount may be deducted or withheld from the employee’s wages, except in the following cases: Amounts deducted from the employee for violations he commits, in accordance with the penal regime in force in the institution and approved by the Ministry, if this is the case does not exceed five percent of wages,” says the law.

“Amounts necessary to repair the damage caused by the worker as a result of his error or breach of the instructions of the employer, which resulted in the destruction, demolition or loss of tools, machines, products or materials that belong to the employer, provided that the amounts deducted do not exceed five days’ wages per month. Any amount in excess of this may only be deducted with the approval of the competent court.”

We could assume that the employer is ignorant of the law, which is not uncommon, so the first step is to point out what the law and what’s allowed.

If they insist on making illegal deductions, AP should file a case against the employer with the Ministry of Human Resources and Emirates. This can be done by phone (600 590000) or through the website and app.


Watch: UAE’s new labor law comes into effect

I am in Dubai on a 3 month visit visa from India. I have an international driver’s license. Am I allowed to drive a private car? SA, Dubai

The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has provided guidance in this regard. It states: “Accordingly, if you are visiting the UAE and hold a valid international driver’s license, you may rent or drive a car registered in your name or in one of your first-degree relatives.”

The commonly used term is an international driver’s license.

This means that a visitor to the UAE can only drive a vehicle owned by a first-degree relative, i.e. a parent, child, brother or sister.

If the private car in question is not owned by one of these relatives, SA is not allowed to legally drive it and can only drive a rental car.

To ensure someone is properly insured, it is advisable that anyone wishing to allow a suitable close relative to drive their vehicle obtain confirmation from their insurance company. This should be confirmed in writing, although an email should be fine.

I have been living in Muscat, Oman for a number of years and will be moving to my company’s office in Dubai. We have a family dog ​​and I would like to know how to bring him to the UAE.

Can I drive them across the border or are there expensive complications? QM, Muscat

Unfamiliar with this subject, I sought advice from Kate Lindley, owner of Paw Pals Dubai, a company specializing in pet sitting and relocations.

“It’s possible to take your dog across the border – it needs to be microchipped, fully vaccinated and rabies antibody tested as Oman is listed as a high-risk country,” Ms Lindley said.

“You need to apply for an import permit, which is available online. You must be a resident of the UAE to import pets. Alternatively, a pet moving company can issue the import permit on your behalf. The cost of the import permit is Dh200 per dog or cat, plus a Dh500 clearance fee.”

Keren Bobker is an independent financial advisor and Senior Partner at Holborn Assets in Dubai with over 25 years of experience. Contact them at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @FinancialUAE

The advice in our columns does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only


Labor law changes in pictures

Updated October 09, 2022, 5:00 am