The My Activity section of the Google Account is a central place where you can manage and view your activity, including websites visited, searches performed, videos watched, and more. While it’s a handy feature to revisit your search history, some might find it related to knowing how much Google knows about you. If you are on this property, you should know that there is an option to delete my activity in Google account. You can even get Google to automatically delete your activity after a while. In this article, we take a look at how to manually/auto delete your Google activity on Android phones and iPhones.
Will my activity on Google be automatically deleted?
This depends on a specific setting. When Auto Delete is turned on, Google automatically deletes your web and app activity, including your search history, after a period of time. If you want to change this, tap Auto-Delete (off).
How to automatically delete my activity in Google
- Open the Google app on your Android device/iPhone
- Tap on your profile and select “Manage your Google account” from the menu that opens
- Navigate to Data & Privacy
- Select the Web & App Activity option and scroll down until you see “Choose an option to delete automatically”. Tap on it
- On the following screen, select Automatically delete activities older than. The default is 18 months, but you can choose between 3 and 36 months.
- After choosing the settings, tap Next to save the changes.
- After that, Google will automatically remove your activity including search history, browsing and discovering after a period of time.
How to clear your Google search, discovery and browsing history Google on an Android device
You can quickly clear your Discover Google search and browsing history from Google on Android. Before we get to the steps, you should know that if you delete the search history associated with your Google account, you won’t be able to recover it. Additionally, instead of removing everything, you have the option to delete a specific activity or search history from a specific day or custom date range.
Google search activity
- Open the Google app on your Android phone or tablet
- Go to the top right where you can click on your profile picture or initial and then go to “Search History”.
- Choose which search history you want to clear.
- If you want to clear your entire search history, tap Clear above the history and click Clear All Times.
- If you want to clear the search history for a specific period above your history, click Clear and choose Clear Custom Range.
- If you want to clear history for a specific day after the day, tap Clear all activities from that specific day.
- If you want to delete a specific activity, tap Delete activity item next to the activity.
If you want to delete the Discover activity, do the following:
- Visit the web activity page here and sign in to your Google account if you haven’t already.
- You can view your daily search summary and discover stories that Google shows you there.
- Click Delete to delete an activity.
Chrome browser activity
- Open the Google application on your Android phone or tablet.
- At the top right, tap your profile picture or initial.
- Navigate to search history.
- Select the history you want to delete. If you want to clear all search history, tap Clear, then choose Clear All Times.
How to Clear Your Google Search, Discover, Browsing History on iPhone
It is possible to clear your Google search, Discover, and browsing history on your iPhone. Starting with the search.
- Open the Google app on your iPhone or iPad
- Tap your profile picture or initials by navigating to the top right.
- Go to search history.
- Select the search history that you want to clear. If you want to clear your entire history, tap Clear, then select Clear All Times.
- Go to the web activity page on your iPhone or iPad. Alternatively you can click here
- Sign in to your Google account.
- You’ll see your daily summary of searches and Discover stories that Google shows you.
- Click the Delete button to delete an activity here.
Chrome browser history/activity
- Visit my activity page with a web browser.
- Click Delete and write about the activity
- Click all the time
- Next and then click Delete. Your entire browsing history will be deleted at the same time.
frequently asked Questions
Can you backup Google activity?
While you can’t back up Google activity, it is possible to back up contacts, call history, settings, SMS, MMS, pictures and videos, and app data.
What happens when you delete your activity?
If you manually delete your activity or it is automatically deleted based on your auto-delete preference, Google will begin removing it from the product and systems. First, they try to remove it from view immediately, and the data cannot be used to personalize your Google experience.
How do you access your Google activity?
- Visit your Google account.
- In the left navigation pane, click Data & Privacy.
- Under History Settings, click My Activity.
If you want to view your activity or search your activity, you can do so by day and time. You can use the search bar at the top and the filters to find a specific activity.