The iOS 16.1 update released today introduces support for Live Activity, a new type of persistent notification on the lock screen that lets you track real-time information. Live activity is mostly visible on the lock screen, but if you have an iPhone 14 Pro or Pro Max, it’s also visible in Dynamic Island.
Developers are starting to implement support for Live Activities and we’ve compiled apps that use the new feature.
Slopes (free with in-app purchases)
Ski and snowboard app Slopes uses live activity to allow users to track two customizable stats, along with information about who else is skiing at the resort. It also provides a daily timeline of performance. Users can select stats that include vertical distance, speed, number of runs, time spent on the slopes and more.
Dynamic Island support is included for iPhone 14 Pro users, providing quick access to tools like Pause and Resume when paused.
Flighty (free with premium option)
Flighty flight tracker app provides live activities to keep track of upcoming and ongoing flights. The live activity implementation is displayed on the lock screen three hours before a flight and provides necessary information such as time to departure, boarding gate, flight status, booking code, seat number and more.
Once launched, the app includes an offline progress bar that lets you know how much time is left for a flight. On iPhone 14 Pro models, Dynamic Island integration provides flight information at the top of the iPhone when there is a critical update like a delay. Dynamic Island Live Activity also displays departure countdown and gate number while using other apps.
The live activity is free to use on the first flight, after that Pro is required. Flighty Pro costs $5.99 per month or $49.99 per year.
Landscape (free with in-app purchases)
Landscape mountaineering app uses live activity on the lock screen and Dynamic Island to provide real-time stats with a rolling elevation graph so you can keep track of your ascent. The app displays altitude, total distance and more.
The time management and focus app Forest displays countdown times on the lock screen and Dynamic Island so you can see how long you have left on the project you’re working on. Forest is an app in which you grow a tree by focusing on a single task like studying without using your device for anything else.
Using the Live Activity option requires disabling Deep Focus mode. This is the mode in which the Forest app must remain open to prevent other apps from using it.
CARROT Weather (Free with in-app purchases)
CARROT Weather indicates an approaching storm when rain is expected within the next hour. The progress of the storm can be followed on the lock screen or the “Dynamic Island”. You can see upcoming rainfall amounts over the next 60 minutes.
Lumy is an app designed for photographers and those who love to follow the sun, letting you see the position of the sun anywhere in the world. It provides information about sunrise, sunset, first light, last light, golden hour, blue hour, moonrise, moonset and more.
With live activity and Dynamic Island integration, Lumy users can track every solar event.
Crouton (free with in-app purchases)
Meal planning and recipe app Crouton uses Live Activity and “Dynamic Island” to display recipe timers and steps for each recipe, allowing users to track each step without having to open the app.
Pestle (free with in-app purchases)
Pestle Live Activity lets you keep track of timers as you use other apps and view current recipe steps. It also supports two timers at the same time so that different dishes can be cooked at the same time.
Liftin’ (Free with in-app purchases)
With the Live Activity Liftin’, users can follow a workout from the lock screen or Dynamic Island, complete with rep counts, rest times, and more.
Apollo (free with premium option
The Reddit app Apollo uses live activity to allow users to track comments on Reddit threads. Reddit users can go to a specific Reddit thread and then select the “Start Live Activity” option. Apollo then monitors the thread and shows live updated comments as they arrive on the lock screen or Dynamic Island.
Aviary (free with in-app purchases)
The Twitter app Aviary uses the Live Activity feature, which allows you to undo a tweet on the lock screen or Dynamic Island. Tweets can be undone up to 30 minutes after they were sent.
Activity tracking app Steps uses live activities to allow users to see their workout progress on the lock screen and dynamic island.
Steps now supports the dynamic island and live activities! We’ve added live progress while recording a workout – it’s great for a quick check-in while walking. pic.twitter.com/qGLHn0Cvt1
— Steps – Activity Tracker (@StepsApp) October 23, 2022
Other apps with live activities and dynamic island support
- PhotoMob – Live football scores
- CardPointer – Tracking of credit card rewards
- Just press record – Tracking of audio recordings
- tide leader – Tracking for current tide height and sun or moon heights.
- Structured – daily planner – Focus timer countdown so you know how much time you have left.
- PosturePal – Tracks a posture session on the lock screen and lets you know if you tilt your neck in a way that impacts back, neck, and shoulder health.
- MoneyCoach – Tracks how much you’ve spent on a specific budget category.
- Calzy – Tracks a calculation on the lock screen and in the Dynamic Island.
- SmartGym – Allows users to track the progress of a workout from the lock screen or Dynamic Island.
- Sticky timers – Sticky Timers is designed to let you keep track of multiple timers at the same time with the Dynamic Island.
- TV remote control – Allows users to access up to four TV remote control buttons from the lock screen or Dynamic Island.
- subjects – Student planner app Subjects allows users to track class schedules, homework, grades and GPA, and with Dynamic Island integration, view current class and time remaining.
- Cowboy – electric bikes Developed for Cowboy brand electric bikes, the Cowboy app integrates live activities to allow users to track the progress of their ride in real-time.
- grocery store – Creates a lock screen live activity showing your shopping list or recipe timer.
- GPS tracks – GPS Tracks uses live activity to follow a route you are on and navigate to a set waypoint.
- Plant based meal planner – Plantry supports live activities to run timers while cooking.
Live Activity Requirements
An “iPhone” running iOS 16.1 is required to use Live Activities. The “Dynamic Island” component requires an “iPhone 14 Pro” or “iPhone 14 Pro” max.