Opinions expressed by entrepreneur Contributors are their own.
You are reading Entrepreneur Middle East, an international franchise by Entrepreneur Media.
In the past decades we have seen that the automotive industry plays a significant role in the growth of an economy and society as a whole. This industry offers something new every year thanks to the intense rivalry and competition among manufacturers, as well as the plethora of new safety and innovative features offered with the latest car models.
So it’s not surprising that the industry’s enthusiastic adoption of Augmented Reality (AR) technology in today’s new car development is a reflection of its continuous drive to innovate. While AR is now expected to become a mainstay across all industries, I am particularly excited for this direction of growth in the automotive industry as manufacturers roll out the new consumer car models.
However, this is not a distant future – in fact, 86% of automotive company representatives believe that AR strategies will be improved and implemented within a year, while the virtual reality (VR) and AR market is projected to reach $209.2 billion up Late 2022. These are exciting times indeed.
Well, getting back to an industry that’s very close to my heart, we’re seeing automotive companies quickly adopting AR technologies in their quest for a new strategic advantage over their competitors. I’m definitely looking forward to the most original applications of AR in the automotive field. Here are some of them:
– With AR systems, the driver can get visual information about the surroundings, traffic conditions and navigation through the windshield without affecting his ability to drive. These warnings can prevent accidents and make driving smoother. Safe driving is by far the greatest benefit for everyone.
– Long and complex manuals are replaced with AR tutorials and guides. The physical owner’s manuals that usually come with your new car are cumbersome and often difficult to find the information you need quickly. And let’s face it, unless you’re in the industry, you’ve probably never opened the manual. With AR we will be able to identify problems and receive instructions on how to solve them without ever having to flip through an old book.
See also: Stronger together: Oweis Zahran, Founder and Chairman of OWS Auto
– For people who build or service cars, learning is automated with AR headsets. When it comes to car manufacturing or maintenance, AR is great for speeding up, automating and improving training processes. With an AR headset, trainees can quickly examine the inside of a device or vehicle. From a personal point of view, I see this as an important step for my company OWS Auto to increase efficiency and increase productivity.
– AR assisted item picking can help warehouse workers to be more productive. Locating parts in a huge warehouse can be complicated when done manually, AR can locate your item in seconds. This is another crucial element that helps with time management and increases efficiency.
– Since its launch, the car sales process has remained essentially unchanged. With AR technology, both customers and manufacturers can experience a more immersive way of buying a new or even used car. I foresee the launch of more digital showrooms that you can access from the comfort of your own home, making the buying decision much easier and simpler.
As more and more major industry players turn to it in search of a new competitive advantage, understanding the breadth and depth of the possibilities of AR in automotive manufacturing is important to stay ahead of the competition. Not only car owners will benefit from this technology, but the entire automotive industry will experience a great change. From streamlining processes to saving time, money and human resources, the overall benefit of AR technology will be quite revolutionary for the future of the automotive industry, transforming the way we live and commute.
We are aware that AR is rapidly gaining importance in the automotive sector, as manufacturers such as Chrysler, Hyundai, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and other companies are already experimenting with and bringing to market innovations, technologies and software in this area. I personally can’t wait to see what they come up with as it will have a massive impact on our lives for decades to come.
Related: How women can help drive the future of the automotive industry