Google is our one-stop shop for all of our search-related inquiries, and it’s no wonder many of you, like me, prefer the convenience of launching Google searches right from your phone’s home screen. Now I know you can always use Google Assistant on an Android phone and Siri on an iPhone. They’re not the most trusted of digital assistants, however, and if typing is your preferred input mode, being able to use Google search right from your phone’s home screen helps a lot. Let’s learn how to add Google search bar to Android and iOS home screen in this guide.
Adding Google Search Bar to Android and iPhone Home Screen (2023)
It’s relatively easy to add the Google search bar to the home screen on both Android and iOS. In just a few simple steps, you can add the Google search widget and customize it to your liking. So without further ado, let’s find out how to do it.
How to add Google search widget on Android
You can find a plethora of useful widgets on Android, but one of the most trusted is the Google search bar widget. You can easily add Google search bar widget to your Android device’s home screen. That’s how it’s done:
1. Long press on an empty space on your Android phone’s home screen to open the floating pop-up menu and select “Widgets”.
2. This will open the Widgets menu where you will find various widgets for supported apps. Scroll down until you see the “Google” app. Click the down arrow to expand the menu. Inside the menu you will find the Search widget.
3. Long press on the Google search widget to place it on your home screen. And voila! You have successfully placed the Google search bar on the home screen. Now, whenever you are on your home screen, you can quickly access Google search with a simple click.
How to add Google search widget on iOS
Just like Android, you can equip several useful widgets on iPhone to increase its functionality and convenience. The Google search widget is no different. So, let’s see the process of adding the Google search bar to your iPhone home screen:
1. Before we start the process, make sure you install the Google app (download, free) on your iPhone.
2. Next, find an empty space on your iPhone home screen and long press until the apps start to jiggle. Then click on the “plus icon” in the upper left corner of the screen. This will take you to the iOS widget menu.
2. In the widget menu you can find the list of apps that support widget functionality. Scroll down until you notice the Google app. Click on it to expand the menu.
3. Within the advanced menu, you will find two different widget options for Google on iOS. Select the appropriate one and click Add Widget. The two options are:
The 2 x 2 square widget just adds the google search bar on your home screen. Advanced 4 x 2 widget adds google search bar, voice search option, google lens and option to launch incognito tab from your home screen.
4. And voila! You have successfully placed the Google search bar on the home screen of your iOS device. You can long press the widget and move it around the screen.
I am sure this will help you access Google search conveniently. Best of all, you can stack widgets on your iPhone home screen. But if you’ve got ChatGPT fever, we recommend reading this guide on how to use ChatGPT on Android and iOS.
How to customize the Google search bar on Android
If you don’t like the default Google search bar widget, you can always customize it to your liking. It’s easy to customize the Google search bar on Android, and here’s how to do it:
1. First launch the Google app and it will take you to the Google feed page. Click on your Google profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
2. Select “Settings” in the expanded menu.
3. From the Settings menu, select Search Widget.
4. In the search widget menu, you can enable the option “Google Doodles in Widget” to display the Google Doodle of the day right on your home screen.
5. For more customization options, click Customize Widget option. Here you can fully customize the look of the search widget. You can change widget shape, transparency level, Google logo style and search widget color. When you’re done, just click “Save” to apply the changes.
And that’s pretty much what you need to know. Here’s how you can easily customize the look and feel of the Google search widget on your Android device.
How to Customize Google Search Bar on iOS
The Google search widget on iPhone is much more interactive and useful than the Android widget. And you can completely change the appearance of the Google search bar on the iOS home screen. Let’s see how it works:
1. To customize the Google search widget, launch the Google app. Here, click on your profile icon in the top right and select the “Settings” option.
2. From the Settings menu, tap the Widgets option.
3. Within the Widgets menu, you can enable the “Dynamic Widget” option to display additional information, including the latest news, weather information, stock prices, trends and more. Enabling this also moves the voice search and Google lens options to the search bar at the top.
4. Tap on the “Widget Theme” option for more customization options. Now you can change Google search widget theme and choose light or dark mode, use dynamic wallpapers and even use solid colors. Check the “Update daily” option if you want the widget design to change regularly.
And there you have it! You have successfully customized the Google search bar on your iOS device’s home screen.
How to remove Google search widget on Android
It’s just as easy to remove the Google search bar as it is to put it on your Android device’s home screen. To remove the Google search widget, long-press the widget to drag and drop it onto the remove icon at the top of your screen. The widget is removed from the home screen.
Note: The option to remove widgets from your home screen may vary depending on the Android skin you are using.
How to remove Google search widget on iOS
If for some reason you want to remove the Google search widget from your iOS device’s home screen, it’s easy to do. Let me guide you through the process.
1. Long press on the Google search widget to open the context menu. Next, select the Remove Widget option.
2. From the confirmation menu, choose Remove from the pop-up menu. And this is how to remove Google search widget from your iPhone.
Google Search Widget Frequently Asked Questions How do I place the Google search bar at the bottom?
To place the Google search bar at the bottom of the home screen, long-press the widget and drag it down. The widget automatically creates space for itself to place below. With this method, you can even place the search bar in the middle of your home screen.
Can I customize the Google search bar?
Yes, you can easily customize the Google search bar on your iPhone and Android phone. You can customize the theme, shape and logo style on Android, while the iPhone widget lets you display dynamic information and use dynamic wallpapers.
How do I add the Chrome search bar to my home screen?
The process of adding Chrome search bar widget is the same as Google search bar widget. Just open the Widgets menu on your Android or iOS device and scroll down to find the Chrome app option. Then long press on the widget to add it to your home screen.
What to do if the Google search bar is missing?
First and foremost, make sure you have the Google app installed on your device. This problem is usually encountered by iOS device users because the device does not have the Google app installed by default. Once you have the Google app installed on your iPhone, follow the steps in this guide to add the Google search bar to your home screen. Alternatively, you can replace the Google search widget with the Chrome search widget.
As we have explained in this guide, it is easy to add Google search widget on the home screen of your iOS and Android phones. Being able to access Google search right from your home screen is very convenient. So, add the Google search bar to your phone’s home screen! What other widgets do you regularly use on your device? Let us know in the comments below.