Having problems with the YouTube search function on your Apple iPhone or Android device? There are several reasons why the app is not delivering the expected results. You can try different ways to fix the problem and find your favorite YouTube videos again.
A common reason why you can’t use YouTube’s search function is that your app has a small bug. Other causes include an inactive internet connection, YouTube does not have full data access, and more.
Restart YouTube on your phone
A quick way to fix most YouTube issues is to quit and restart the YouTube application on your phone. This will fix various minor issues with the app, allowing you to use the search feature.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your phone’s screen and pause in the middle.
- Find youtube in the list and swipe up on the app to close the app.
- Beat youtube on your home screen to restart the app.
- Tap the youngest Apps button.
- Swipe up on the youtube apartment
- Beat youtube on your home screen or in your app drawer.
Check your internet connection
YouTube requires an active internet connection to retrieve search results. If your connection is sporadic or doesn’t work at all, you won’t be able to use the search option.
You can check this by opening a web browser on your phone and launching a website like Bing. If you can successfully access the website, your internet is working properly. If so, read on to discover more fixes.
If your web browser cannot load the page, your internet connection is faulty. In this case, try to solve the problem yourself or contact your provider.
Check if YouTube is down
YouTube’s servers sometimes go down, causing the platform to go down. Your search function not working can be the result of such an outage.
You can check if YouTube is experiencing downtime by using a site like DownDetector. If the platform is indeed down, you’ll have to wait for the company to get the servers back up. There is nothing you can do to solve the problem.
Update YouTube to fix the search bar issue
Errors in the YouTube app can cause the search function to not work. Since you cannot fix these coding-level issues yourself, you can update the app on your phone to potentially get rid of these errors.
It’s free and easy to update YouTube on both iPhone and Android.
- begin app store on your iPhone.
- Choose Update at the bottom.
- Choose To update Next youtube on the list.
- Open Google play store on your phone.
- Search and select youtube.
- Beat To update to update the app.
Update your iPhone or Android phone
The system errors of your iPhone or Android phone can cause your apps to malfunction. This is especially true if your phone is running an outdated OS version.
In this case, you can solve your YouTube search problem by updating your phone’s software to the latest version. Here’s how.
- Open settings on your iPhone.
- Navigate to General > software update in the settings.
- Let your iPhone check for available updates.
- Download and install the updates by tapping Download and install.
- Reboot your iPhone.
- begin settings on your phone.
- Choose system > system update.
- Find and install the available updates.
- Reboot your phone.
Use the correct date and time on your phone
Some apps require your phone to use the correct date and time in order to function. If you have mistyped date and time options on your phone, YouTube’s search function may not work.
Correct these options on your phone and YouTube will work as expected.
- begin settings on your iPhone.
- Choose General > appointment time.
- Switch Set automatically.
- Open settings on your phone.
- Choose system > appointment time.
- Turn on both Use the time provided by the network and Use network-provided time zone.
Activate YouTube’s incognito mode
YouTube offers an incognito mode that allows you to browse the platform without logging your viewing history. It’s worth using this mode to see if that helps fix your search problem.
- open that youtube app on your phone.
- Select your profile icon in the top right corner of YouTube.
- Choose Turn on Incognito.
- Choose I have it in the command prompt.
- Use the search option and see if that works.
- You can turn off Incognito mode by tapping and selecting your profile icon in the top right corner of YouTube Disable incognito.
Fix YouTube search not working by clearing app cache
YouTube uses temporary files called cache to improve your in-app experience. These files may be corrupted, resulting in your app’s features not working. Luckily, you can clear your YouTube cache without affecting your personal information on the app.
Your login session and other information in the app will remain intact when you remove the cache. Note that you can only do this on Android, as iPhone doesn’t let you clear your app cache.
- begin settings on your Android phone.
- Choose Apps & Notifications > youtube in the settings.
- Beat Storage & Cache.
- Choose clear cache.
Allow YouTube to use unrestricted data
If you have enabled data saver mode on your Android phone, it may limit YouTube internet usage. This results in the app’s features not working.
You can whitelist the YouTube app in this mode and allow the app to use unrestricted data. This will probably solve your search problem in the app.
- Open settings on your Android phone.
- Go inside Apps & Notifications > youtube > Mobile data & WiFi.
- turn on Unlimited data usage.
Reset your phone’s network settings
If you’re still having trouble with YouTube search, try resetting your iPhone or Android phone’s network settings to fix your network problems. This ensures that no incorrectly specified options are causing the problem.
- Open settings on your iPhone.
- Choose General > Reset to default in the settings.
- Choose Reset network settings.
- Enter your iPhone’s passcode.
- Choose Reset network settings in the command prompt.
- begin settings on your phone.
- Navigate to system > reset options in the settings.
- Choose Reset Wi-Fi, Mobile, and Bluetooth.
- Choose reset settings.
Make the YouTube search bar work on your smartphone
YouTube search is an essential feature as you can find the videos you are interested in on this huge video hosting site. A broken search function means you can’t see what you want.
Luckily, you can use the methods above to solve your search problem. Then you can find all the videos you find worth watching on this platform. Much luck!