Gone are they days from flutterbird. Tapping, tapping, tapping your fingertips against the smartphone glass can feel inadequate when struggling to win a round Fourteen days. With the arrival of iOS 16, anyone with a compatible iPhone has another gaming controller option: Nintendo’s Joy-Cons.
Yes, you could already connect an Xbox or PlayStation controller to an iPhone, but the compact size of the Switch controllers, despite their flaws, makes them perfect for slipping into a pocket or purse. Whether you are addicted turn 3 or your Switch will be tucked away in a closet until Link is ready for another adventure. Here’s how to connect Joy-Cons to your Apple device. Not sure which mobile game to try with a controller first? We’ve put together a handful of valuable recommendations.
How to pair your Joy-Cons
- Double check that your iPhone is updated to (and compatible with) at least iOS 16 before attempting to connect the Joy-Cons. iPads should be updated to at least iPadOS 16.
- Unlock your Apple device. Tap on settingsthen Bluetooth. The top button on this page must be toggled to the right to pair a controller.
- Locate your Switch and remove the two controllers from the console’s on-screen display.
- On your right Joy-Con, press the small inlaid button located between the SL and SR. A green light will start bouncing nearby.
- When you see the green light Joy Con (R) should appear on your phone’s Bluetooth tab under Devices. Tap the name to connect the controller to your iPhone.
- Do you want to connect both controllers? Repeat the process by pressing the same inlaid button on the left Joy-Con, opening your phone’s Bluetooth tab and selecting it Joy-Con (L).
Which games should I play?
The easy part is over. Now to the real conundrum: first select the best games. Let’s start our journey with a stroll outside of the Walled Garden for a quick Battle Royale. Even though Fourteen days Not driving the cultural conversation like it did a few years ago, the game is worth checking out in 2022. You’ll find a new no-build game mode and a stunning smorgasbord of IP collaborations (like Lebron James, John Wick, and Goku).
The process takes about 15 minutes to set up on your smartphone, however Fourteen days is a great example of what’s possible for mobile gaming with a controller. First, open your browser and visit xbox.com/play. Tap the Fortnite icon and then select Get ready to play. A pop-up will ask you to tap the small icon of a box with an arrow pointing up. Scroll up and select Add to home screen. A green cloud gaming App should appear on your iPhone.
A strong Wi-Fi connection is required for cloud gaming to work well. Open the app and you need to sign in or create a free account with Microsoft. After logging in, place your phone in landscape mode and tap the Fortnite icon again to launch the game. Never played Fourteen days? You will also need an Epic account. I played a few rounds with no issues, even though Joy-Cons aren’t listed as an officially supported controller for Xbox Cloud Gaming.
Looking for something cozier and more relaxed? Stardew Valley is available on the iOS Store for $5 and includes controller support. Adorable farming simulator with a cult following works well on mobile.
Do you have an Apple One subscription? Your monthly payment includes Apple Arcade. Go ahead and open the App Store and tap on the tab below that reads arcade. games like Sonic race, NBA 2K23 Arcade Editionand mini highways are all compatible with controllers.