While we’re still about 10 months away from Apple unveiling the iPhone 15 range, rumors are already suggesting that next year’s high-end Pro models will have even more exclusive features than usual compared to the standard models .
In September, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said strong sales of iPhone 14 Pro models would likely encourage Apple to increase differentiation between the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max and the standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus, though It’s worth noting that so many hardware changes are likely to be planned at least a few years in advance.
There are currently rumors that at least five features are exclusive to iPhone 15 Pro models:
- A17 chip: iPhone 15 Pro models will feature an A17 Bionic chip, manufactured based on TSMC’s second-generation 3nm process, which will offer performance and efficiency improvements, according to the Japanese publication Nike Asia. The report claimed that 2023 could be the second year in a row that only the Pro models of the new iPhone range will feature Apple’s latest chip.
- Faster USB-C connection: iPhone 15 Pro models will feature a USB-C port with support for at least USB 3.2 or Thunderbolt 3, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, which would result in the devices being wired with significantly faster data transfer speeds compared to existing iPhones equipped are lightning. Kuo said the USB-C port on standard iPhone 15 models will be limited to USB 2.0 speeds like Lightning.
- Increased memory: iPhone 15 Pro models will come with more 8GB of RAM, according to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce, while standard models will likely continue to have 6GB of RAM as they currently do. Additional RAM can allow apps like Safari to keep more content active in the background, preventing the app from reloading content when reopened.
- Solid State Keys: According to Kuo, iPhone 15 Pro models will feature solid-state volume and power buttons. The analyst said the devices will feature two additional Taptic Engines that provide haptic feedback to simulate the feel of pressing the buttons without physical movement, similar to the home button on the latest iPhone SE or the Trackpad on newer MacBooks.
- Increased optical zoom for iPhone 15 Pro Max: The iPhone 15 Pro Max will feature a periscope telephoto lens, according to Kuo. This could result in the device boasting at least 10x optical zoom, compared to 3x on iPhone 14 Pro models.
Because of the increased differentiation BloombergMark Gurman said the iPhone 15 Pro Max might be renamed the iPhone 15 Ultra.
Pushing customers towards the Pro models would help Apple increase the iPhone’s average retail price. The trend started earlier this year, when only the iPhone 14 Pro models received Apple’s latest A16 Bionic chip, while the standard iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus models still featured last year’s A15 Bionic chip.
As usual, Apple is likely to announce the iPhone 15 range next September. With many months to go before the devices launch, it’s likely that additional features will show up, so the information we have at the moment only gives a glimpse of what to expect.
iOS 16.2 for iPhone is expected to launch in December with these 8 new features
According to Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman and a report on the update bringing 5G support in India, Apple plans to release iOS 16.2 in December. The update is still in beta testing for now, with many new features and changes already revealed. iOS 16.2 introduces a number of new features, including Apple’s new whiteboard app Freeform, two new lock screen widgets for sleep and medicine, the…
Images of the unreleased “Apple Magic Charger” Surface Online
Images of an unreleased Apple MagSafe charging accessory dubbed the “Apple Magic Charger” have surfaced online in recent weeks. Image via @TheBlueMister Rare Apple product collector and Twitter user “TheBlueMister” first shared images of the unreleased accessory earlier this month. Since then, other Asia-based collectors seem to have gotten their hands on the Design Validation Test…
Testing Apple’s new Emergency SOS feature via satellite
Apple today officially rolled out the new Satellite Emergency SOS feature coming to the iPhone 14 models, so we thought we’d test it out to see how it works. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Emergency SOS via satellite is designed to allow users to connect to emergency services when cellular or Wi-Fi connectivity is unavailable, e.g.
Apple launches revamped iCloud.com website with all-new design
Apple today launched a new design on iCloud.com after several weeks of beta testing. The page now has a colorful background image with tiles for your Apple ID account and Apple apps like Photos, Mail, iCloud Drive, Calendar, and Notes. There’s also a tile with icons for additional apps like Find My, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and more. The page can be customized with users being able to choose…
The latest iOS 16.2 beta allows you to turn off wallpapers and notifications for Always On Display
With the third beta version of iOS 16.2 made available to developers this morning, Apple has added new features to the always-on display feature available for the iPhone 14 Pro models. There are now two toggles to turn off wallpapers or notifications when Always on Display is active. The options can be reached by opening the Settings app, selecting Display & Brightness, then going to…
Apple is hosting a Black Friday shopping event starting November 25th
Apple today announced it will be hosting a special “Apple Shopping Event” between Black Friday on November 25 and Cyber Monday on November 28, where customers can receive a gift card with the purchase of select products. Eligible products include: iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone SE: Up to a $50 gift card Second Gen AirPods Pro, Second Gen AirPods Pro…
What’s next for the iMac? What we know about a new design, an M3 chip and more
Apple released the all-new 24-inch iMac with the M1 chip in April 2021, making it over a year and a half old at that point. As a result, customers may be wondering what’s next for Apple’s iMac and all-in-one desktop computer. We’ve heard several rumors and reports on what Apple has in store that give us a good idea of what’s next, and we’ve outlined some of the details we know about the…