what you need to know
- Many users failed to sign up for the Android Auto for Coolwalk beta test.
- A small percentage are in beta but have not received the redesign in their cars.
- A smaller percentage received the new Coolwalk UI.
We recently polled our readers to see how many of you are using Android Auto Coolwalk’s new design. The update makes the UI more dynamic and intuitive, allowing specific cards to grow and shrink while allowing quick access to media recommendations and frequently used apps. It’s also said to fit better on displays of different sizes and orientations.
Out of nearly 3,000 votes, 77% say they weren’t able to sign up for the Android Auto beta testing program to try Coolwalk. And of the remaining beta participants, only about half received the Coolwalk update for their cars.
According to some users, the update seems to appear only on certain vehicle hardware.
- RS3: “It definitely makes a difference in vehicle hardware. I have two Audis, an MY20 and an MY22, the former has older infotainment tech and doesn’t show the updated UI despite running the same phone. Coolwalk has been working on the newer car for several weeks.“
- Astath: “Signed up for the beta but despite all attempts the new UI is not available on a VW MIB2 unit of a MY18 TRoc. The same cell phone when connected to an aftermarket device will display the new UI with no issues.“
The few that got the update seem to be really enjoying it.
- Archit Gupta: “It is much more convenient to use than the previous design. Doesn’t feel like a beta, I haven’t had any problems. Really enjoyed. Although I’m using a Samsung, but on AA, the Google Dialer icon shows up.“
- Fernando: “Love it! I wish I could rearrange the screen to my liking. Maybe in a future update, but so far it’s a great start.“
However, not everyone is a fan of the update.
- RS3: “To be honest, I don’t care about the redesign. It doesn’t do much for me. Prefer full screen mode of the map. Vehicle steering wheel control to work music. Update doesn’t help Spotify’s absolutely terrible AA interface.“
- Jos: “I have the Coolwalk beta, like it for the most part, but it’s not really useful on the Subaru 11.6’s tiny AA screen. I have to keep them full screen at this point until Subaru shows us full screen.“
If you want to try Coolwalk, you need to keep checking the testing program to see if there are any vacancies.