Westford, U.S., Nov. 10, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — In recent years, the mobile gaming market has exploded in popularity. There are now more than 3 billion active mobile gamers worldwide and this number is expected to continue to grow. However, as the market matures, it faces a number of challenges. This includes everything from the ongoing fight against piracy to the need to better monetize free-to-play games.
In terms of future trends, SkyQuest believes that cloud gaming will have a significant impact on the market. Cloud gaming services allow gamers to play games without having to download them to their device, making them much more accessible. We predict that by 2028 more than half of all mobile gamers will be using cloud gaming services.
Get a sample copy of this report:
Another major trend that will shape the future of the mobile gaming market is the rise of 5G technology. 5G networks offer significantly higher speeds and lower latencies than current 4G networks, which will enable new types of gaming experiences such as real-time multiplayer and augmented reality. Our analyst expects 5G to be widely available by 2025 and believes it will have a transformative effect on the mobile gaming industry.
SkyQuest’s analysis of the mobile gaming market highlights these challenges and provides insights on how to overcome them. The report also discusses the potential for next-generation technologies like augmented reality and virtual reality to impact the sector.
Increased smartphone penetration and improved revenue levels to fuel market growth
The mobile gaming market is expected to grow significantly over the next few years. A number of factors are driving this demand, including the increasing popularity of smartphones and tablets, rising income levels around the world, and the growth of the Chinese gaming market. Smartphones and tablets have become increasingly popular in recent years, with shipments increasing from 296 million units in 2010 to an estimated 1.6 billion units in 2021. This increase in the number of devices has led to a corresponding increase in the number of people playing mobile games. According to a SkyQuest report on the global mobile gaming market, there were 1.4 billion active mobile gamers in 2014, and that number has grown to 3.13 billion by the end of 2021.
Income levels are rising around the world, especially in emerging markets like China and India. That means more people have disposable income to spend on gaming content. In addition, the Chinese gambling market is expected to grow significantly over the next few years. Already the largest market for PC games, China has also become the largest market for mobile games.
In addition, mobile gamers are becoming more and more demanding. They want games that are challenging and addicting, with good graphics and gameplay. This has led to an increase in investment in the mobile gaming industry as developers strive to create games that meet these expectations. Additionally, social media and online platforms like Twitch have helped popularize mobile gaming. Streamers and YouTubers often feature new games on their channels, which helps generate interest and excitement around them.
While the mobile gaming market is growing rapidly at a CAGR of over 11%, there are some challenges that need to be addressed in order to sustain this growth. One of the biggest challenges is ensuring that players have a positive mobile gaming experience. This includes ensuring games are fair and safe, providing customer support, and managing in-game microtransactions in a way that doesn’t frustrate players. Another challenge is dealing with the increasing complexity of mobile game development. As games become more sophisticated, they require more time and resources to develop. This can make it harder for smaller developers to compete.
Browse the Report Executive Summary and Complete Table of Contents (ToC):
Top 5 trends in the mobile gaming market
Mobile gaming is on the rise with no signs of slowing down. With over 3 billion active mobile players worldwide, the market is growing at an unprecedented rate. Here are some of the top trends driving this market:
1. Instant Play Games: More and more gamers are looking for games that can be played instantly without having to download or install anything. This trend is fueled by the rise of mobile devices with powerful processors and fast internet speeds.
2. Social Gaming: Social media platforms have become a breeding ground for social gaming in the global mobile gaming market. Games like Candy Crush and Farmville have become household names thanks to their addictive gameplay and social features. These games are usually free and make money through in-game purchases and advertising.
3. Augmented Reality Games: Pokemon Go was a global phenomenon when it launched in 2016 and it showed the potential of augmented reality games. This trend will continue to grow in the coming years as more developers create AR games that take advantage of the increasing number of AR-enabled devices.
4. Mobile Esports: Competitive mobile gaming is already big business with tournaments all over the world with huge prize pools up for grabs in the mobile gaming market. This trend is gaining popularity as phone hardware continues to improve, making it possible to play more demanding games on mobile devices.
5. The Rise of Free-to-Play Games: In the past, most mobile games were paid apps that had to be purchased in advance. However, free-to-play games are growing in popularity thanks to their low barrier to entry and flexible payment models. This is bad news for mobile game developers trying to make a living from their games.
Mobile gaming is expected to generate over 60% of the global video game market
Mobile gaming is one of the fastest growing segments of the global video game market, driven by the increasing adoption of smartphones and tablets, the proliferation of mobile broadband networks and the development of sophisticated games for these devices. In 2021, mobile games accounted for 61% of the total video game market, up from 36% in 2015.
SkyQuest analysis shows that the Asia Pacific region is the largest and fastest growing mobile gaming market, accounting for 65% of global revenue in 2021. The region is expected to maintain its leading position over the forecast period and grow at a CAGR of 15.9%. North America is the second largest market for mobile gaming.
Free-to-play games are the most popular type of mobile games, accounting for 78% of total gross revenue in 2021. The most popular free-to-play games include Clash of Clans, Candy Crush Saga, and Bubble Witch Saga. Paid gaming accounts for the remaining 22% of gross revenue, with Minecraft being the most popular paid gaming on mobile. In terms of revenue from in-game purchases, free-to-play games make up 97% while paid games make up.
Talk to Analyst for your custom needs:
Top players in the global mobile gaming market
- Tencent Holdings Limited (China)
- Nintendo Co. Ltd (Japan)
- Activision Blizzard Inc. (USA)
- Zynga Inc. (USA)
- GungHo Online Entertainment Inc. (Japan)
- Electronic Arts Inc. (USA)
- Kabam Games Inc. (US)
- Rovio Entertainment Corporation (Finland)
- Games Inc. (US)
- NetEase Inc. (China)
Related reports in SkyQuest’s library:
Global Intrusion Detection System Market
Global Payment Gateway Market
Global Real Estate Management Software Market
Global Rapid Prototyping Materials Market
Global Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) Market.
SkyQuest Technology is a leading growth consulting firm providing market intelligence, commercialization and technology services. It has more than 450 satisfied customers worldwide.
1 Apache Way, Westford, Massachusetts 01886
United States (+1) 617-230-0741
E-mail: [email protected]
LinkedIn Facebook Twitter