OnePlus and Oppo are expected to leave several European countries, a tipster claimed in a tweet today (March 27). The tweet claimed that Oppo and OnePlus, both owned by BBK Electronics, are planning to close their stores in Europe. However, the tweet gives no reason for this. In 2022, OnePlus and Oppo phones were banned in Germany due to a patent dispute with Nokia. Both companies firmly deny these claims in a media statement.
OnePlus, Oppo leave rumors
Tipster Max Jambor posted on Twitter that both Oppo and OnePlus are pulling out of Europe. “First go Germany, Britain, France and the Netherlands,” he tweeted. He was quick to issue an update, saying: “For now, only the listed countries will be closing. Not all of Europe.”
A few minutes later, Jambor released another update saying OnePlus/Oppo will release an official statement soon. “At the moment only Germany, France, Great Britain and the Netherlands will close. It is unknown for the rest of Europe at this point,” he added.
The statement from OnePlus and Oppo on this
Both Oppo and OnePlus denied these claims, saying they have no plans to leave Europe and the UK.
“OnePlus will not withdraw from Europe and the UK and will maintain stable operations in local markets. OnePlus will continue to invest in Europe and offer more innovative products and solutions for its users,” James Paterson, OnePlus’ global PR manager, was quoted as saying.
“Oppo is committed to all existing European markets. We’ve had a great start to 2023 with the successful launch of several products in Europe and have a range of upcoming products for the rest of the year. As always, Oppo will continue to provide more innovative products and the best-in-class service for users who are evolving,” Tech Advisor quoted a company spokesman as saying.
What problem do Nokia, OnePlus and Oppo have?
Last year it was reported that Oppo and OnePlus were banned from selling their smartphones in Germany. Both companies carried out a patent lawsuit against Nokia, in which the Finnish giant had accused both companies of using some of its patented technologies that help process 4G and 5G signals. The company said neither company paid for a license required to use the said technology.
Chinese companies have been dealt a blow. “Two German courts have ruled that Oppo uses Nokia’s patented technologies in its smartphones and sells them illegally without a license. Nokia was also found to have acted fairly. The easiest way for Oppo to resolve this matter is to renew its license on fair terms,” Nokia told The Times of India-GadgetsNow at the time.
OnePlus told The Times of India-GadgetsNow that it complies with laws and regulations in the markets it operates.
“OnePlus is diligent in complying with the laws and regulations in every market in which we operate. As a leading technology brand, we recognize the importance of intellectual property in driving innovation and place a high value on fair access to essential patents. Nokia’s request for an unreasonably high fee is prejudicial “We are actively working with the relevant parties to resolve the ongoing legal matter. While sales and marketing of the relevant products are suspended, OnePlus remains committed to the German market and will continue our activities continue,” the company said.
Meanwhile, OnePlus users in Germany can continue to enjoy our products and related services such as regular software updates and after-sales service as before,” she added.
Oppo confirmed that it has stopped selling its smartphones in the country.