Institute for Energy Studies
The Energy Studies Institute (ESI) is a research institute at the National University of Singapore that aims to improve understanding of energy policy issues through independent research and analysis. We are recruiting researchers to join a multidisciplinary team conducting research projects on a range of energy issues affecting Singapore and the region.
The Institute is seeking a Research Associate to conduct research on the use of automated solutions for carbon footprint management in collaboration with industrial partner BDx, a leading pan-Asian provider of data centers and hybrid computing solutions (see www.bdxworld.com). The appointed staff will work under the responsibility of the Director of the Institute and will work closely with members of all departments of the Institute.
Candidates are expected to be proficient in data analysis, visualization and the use of modern computer science techniques, specifically including digital integration with virtual reality technologies for integrated simulation extensions.
Candidates must also demonstrate a solid understanding of carbon accounting and footprinting principles and techniques. An understanding of Singapore’s economic system and local work experience is desirable. The appointed candidate is also expected to have a well-founded awareness of current and emerging trends in energy and environmental research.
Depending on experience and rank:
- Reporting on the rationale for and increased adoption of socially responsible business practices, including disclosure of carbon emissions, either voluntarily or in response to evolving national/international policies, e.g. B. in response to CO2 tax revisions or similar;
- Work with the hybrid infrastructure management platform 360°View (see https://managed360view.com/) developed by BDx as the central component of an automated solution for managing the carbon footprint with high integrity;
- Exploring the potential for and potentially supporting the development of a digital twin architecture based on 360°View as a framework for strategic assessment of carbon footprint policies.
- Supporting the development of virtual reality software for integrated simulation extensions of 360° view outputs/data accessed via APIs.
- Investigating the development of a life cycle management algorithm around the critical elements of data center cooling system architecture(s).
The specific field of work depends on the respective priorities of the institute.
- You have a master’s degree in computer science, data science or other related field or a bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Applicants should have proven experience in quantitative data analysis.
- A solid understanding of the principles of carbon footprint analysis and reporting.
- A good contemporary understanding and interest in energy and environmental issues.
- Relevant work and practical experience in industry or government agencies in the energy and environment sector in Singapore would be very valuable.
- Track record of publications in reputable journals would be an advantage.
- Can work independently and in a team.
To apply for this position, please summarize the following documents in 1 PDF and attach it to your application in the CV column:
- A cover letter of no more than 800 words explaining the applicant’s previous research experience and suitability for the research project
Interested parties please apply with all required documents. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. Shortlisted applicants may be invited for an interview, either in person or via Zoom, as needed. If you haven’t heard from us within 3 months, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students is one of our top priorities, and the COVID vaccination supports our commitment to keeping our community safe and making NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interaction with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that can be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
With the health and well-being of our staff and students in mind, and to better protect everyone on campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to ensure successful employment at NUS.
location: Kent Ridge Campus
organization: Institute for Energy Studies
Department : Institute for Energy Studies
Job Requisition ID: 18104